There existed in Indiana, an industry known as a foundry, as memorialized in the name of Foundry Avenue. There were three iron foundries in operation in Indiana at different times over a period of nearly 100 years from 1851 to 1948. A foundry uses ingots made at another location and remelts them to make castings for things such as stove parts. A common example in Indiana are pot-bellied stoves, or the covers to storm drains which bear the marking “Indiana Foundry Co.”
In 1851, the first foundry in Indiana was erected by William H. Choeman and Samuel George. An advertisement appeared on June 4, 1851 that announced “Indiana Foundry is in Blast” advertising for sale cooking stoves, cannon and egg stoves, and ploughs such as Wyatt’s pattern and Caledonia’s self-sharpening. They also announced that “all casting that may be called for will be made to order on the shortest notice.”
The 1856 Peelor map shows the foundry on the north side of Philadelphia Street between Second and Third streets.
In June 1852, Mitchell & Boyle announced they had purchased the interest of Thomas Jacobs “in the New Foundry in Indiana Borough.” By 1859, the East End foundry was still operating with a horse-powered fan. It is not known how long the foundry continued, but it appears to have declined slowly and closed some time before 1880 when an item appeared in the Indiana Progress stating, “The old East End foundry presents a falling appearance.”
The second foundry was erected in 1853 by Robert Johnston and John H. Shyrock. It was located in West Indiana on the north side of Philadelphia Street between Ninth and Tenth streets. They built a new facility in 1855 alongside Shyrock’s steam saw mill. The same engine that powered the saw mill also drove a fan used in blasting. The new plant was named “Enterprise Foundry” and began operations on June 16, 1855. The foundry produced about 10 castings each week by the four moulders and the four hands employed.
In 1856, Johnston sold his interest to James Bailey.
An 1857 ad by Bailey & Shryock listed the following available items: cook, laundry and heating stoves, large kettles, several sizes of iron pots, waffle irons, skillets, griddles, plows and plow points, iron railing, fenders and wrenches for buggies, stove pipe dampers, stone hammers, bedstead fasteners, iron stands, porch steps and scrapers, wagon boxes, and common and ornamental grates for fireplaces.
In February 1865, Burns, Convery & Co. purchased Indiana Foundry from Bailey & Shryock. On April 13, 1868, the partnership of Patrick H. Burns, James Convery, H.J. Crouse and N. Vinroe was dissolved and the firm became Burns & Turner (James Turner). Major Irwin McFarland became associated with the firm, and it became known as the Indiana Manufacturing Company. At some point Turner left the plant, and McFarland became the proprietor by 1873. Among their products were the Champion and Dexter cook stoves, and the Champion plow.
In 1872, Burns built another foundry and employed five men. In 1874, his brothers were associated with him being known as “P.H. Burns & Bros.” An 1877 advertisement for “P.H. Burns & Bros.” headed “Who Sells the Best Plow?” offering to test their plows with any others made and sold in Indiana County. The plowing had to be done within three miles of Indiana and judged by a committee of disinterested parties. Adverse business conditions caused Burns & Bros. to sell in 1878 to E.P. Hildebrand, Thomas Sutton, and J.H. Young who reorganized as the Chill Wheel & Plow Co.
Hildebrand served as manager and employed six men to make “chill wheels” for pit wagons or coal cars, and “Uncle Sam” and “Rival” plows. Burns worked for the new company for a while before moving to Pittsburgh. In 1879, the Chill Wheel & Plow Co. merged with R.A. Young’s machine shop. Young was a brother of J.H. Young. This merger added the “Young & Carroll Hay Elevator,” a horse-operated hay fork; the “Lytle Red Staff and Diamond Dresser,” and five-horsepower steam engines to the product line.
In 1883, Thomas Sutton and his brother, John W. Sutton, bought out the other partners and began business with Hugh M. Bell as “Sutton Bros. & Bell.” by April of 1887, the foundry and machine shops were running at full capacity. During this transition period, the foundry was moved to a location at Oak and Tenth Streets and Burns and Clymer Avenues.
When the new jail was built in 1887, Sutton Bros. & Bell received a $15,000 contract for all ironwork, including the boilers, steam heating, water fittings, ironwork on cells, etc.
In September 1888, a 70-horse-power boiler, said to be the largest in Indiana County, was installed at the foundry. Afterwards an advertisement headed “Mill Supplies” claimed they could “build New Machinery and do any kind of repair work.”
In July 1889, ground was broken for a new two-story foundry building.
In the years after 1870, Irvin McFarland continued to operate a competing enterprise known as the “Indiana Foundry.” In 1876, his foundry made a canon for the citizens of Blacklick to used during the U.S. centennial and “has proven itself able to perform its work to the entire satisfaction of all.” By 1879, there were eight employees, and the foundry was only running at half the capacity during the preceding three years.
The Indiana Times reported on March 7, 1894 that McFarland’s foundry had been shut down during the winter of 1893-94, but resumed operation on March 5, 1894 under “Smith & McCartney.” McFarland died on November 17, 1898, and the foundry closed at either that time or some time before.
Bell sold his interest in Sutton Bros. & Bell to Edward Sellers of Oak Hall, Pa., and the name changed to the “Indiana Foundry Company.” Sellers served as general manager. His designs for a cutting box and land roller were added to the other castings already a part of the product line. The Gazette announced that the company had to turn down an order from Sears, Roebuck & Co. for 180,00 pounds of farm bells “as it was impossible to manufacturer the bells at the present time,” but an order for one car load was accepted.
Indiana Foundry Co. stoves were adopted by the Pennsylvania, Lake Erie, and Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh railroads for their stations and shops. Pit wagons, frogs, switches, turnouts and car wheels were manufactured for use in the coal mines. Other casting listed in the 1904 Gazette ad were cast iron stable mangers, ash pit and oven doors, hitch weights, sash weights, cast washers, farm bells, coal chutes, dumbbells and quoits.
In 1906, the Indiana Foundry Co. obtained a five-year contract to make sand dryers for Fox Bros. of New York City.
A account published in 1913 showed the business had increased in volume since 1900 and sand dryers were being exported to England, Europe, the West Indies, South America, and Japan. Other produced included: boil grate bars, windlasses, cranes, tire benders, and emery stands.
In 1918, the Indiana Foundry Co. was incorporated.
During World War II, their entiere capacity was devoted to the war effort. This included the manufacture of thousands of dirt tampers, winches and sand dryers. In September 1942, unfortunately all the patterns were destroyed in a fire.
Production at the Indiana Foundry ceased in 1948, but orders were filled by the Cowanesque Valley Iron Works in Cowanesque, Tioga County until the plant was sold to A.J. Stahura in August 1957, and converted into “Handy Andy’s” supermarket.