Indiana County Ghost Stories Part III

“Yank” Brown

Somewhere between Armagh and Blairsville, along the route of the old turnpike, which more or less parallels U.S. Route 22, there was said to be a cave containing kegs of gold and silver and more than a bushel of watches hidden there by robbers.  The loot has never been found.

Our story goes back to the early 1800s, when John Brown settled west of Armagh along the old Huntingdon, Cambria and Indiana Turnpike.  Both the map prepared by David Peelor in 1855 and the 1871 “Atlas of Indiana County” locate the resident of “J. Brown” along the turnpike about 300 rods west of New Washington (now Clyde) in West Wheatfield Township.  In the atlas, another “J. Brown” house is about 450 rods northwest of the first site and 100 or more rods north of the turnpike.

A story about John Brown was written by Frances Strong Helman, in part:

Not far from the old stone pike, now Route 22, southwest of Armagh, Indiana County, are the ruins of a cave…John “Yank” Brown’s cave.

Way back in the distant past, John arrived form New England and became known to his neighbors as “Yank.” He established a tavern along the pike, and the gory details of what happened there were well-kept secrets.  Travelers going down the pike who were believed to have money were not seen on the road after they had time to pass “Yank’s” tavern.  It was whispered around that the abandoned well was probably the last resting place of one peddler.

An over-hanging rock is still pointed out as a shelter used by the rascal’s family when things got too wild indoors…

He had an interest in horses too.  He stole them…

Brown managed to involve those who knew his secrets in such a way that they had no desire to turn informer.  When Yank was dying one of his cronies was present, and it seemed the visitor greatly feared the sick man would babble.  He is said to have leaned over Brown and whispered, “Die game, Yank! Die game!”

It was rumored that the old scamp had hidden money in the cave, and at least two groups of people have dug in the cave but found nothing. There are still people in the county who were told in the years gone by that “the treasures were stacked shoulder high” in the cave.  All the digging in the cave has caused earth slides and it is no longer safe to enter.

Years and years ago, on dark still nights, those walking along the pike or traveling by horse and  buggy, declared they heard the thudding hooves of Brown’s stolen horses as they were driven by “ghostly Yank” toward the cave…

Helman’s story, based on folklore, has been supplemented by historical research done by Clarence Stephenson.  John Brown first comes to historical notice in the early newspapers of Indiana County when he was arrested March 17, 1853, on a charge of stealing two horses. The person making the charge was Robert Stoops of Canoe Township, who was himself indicted at the same time on a horse-theft charge.

Brown was released on $1,000 bail. At the June term of court, he was defended by Augustus Drum, and the charges were dismissed. Stoops, however, pleaded guilty and was sentenced to the Western Penitentiary.

In 1856, the operations of an extensive horse-stealing ring were revealed.  One of the members, John Rutter, was jailed in Pittsburgh.  There he was visited by Constable Joseph R. Smith of Indiana, and Rutter gave him the names of others of the gang.  Four members lived in Indiana County, three “on the mountains,” three in Blair County, four in Tioga County, one in Luzerne County, eight in Chemung County, NY.

Rutter confessed that in 1851 three men made proposals to him to enter a horse-stealing gang that members, disguised as drovers, spotted out horses to be stolen.  He thought about 150 horses in all had been stolen.  The gang also did counterfeiting and stole goods and merchandise.

John and Lewis Brown were arrested in Westmoreland County and released on $1,000 bail each. Lewis Brown forfeited his bail and fled to Chemung County, NY, where he was again arrested. Rutter, who had turned state’s witness, was taken to Elmira, NY, to testify against Brown. During the night, the hotel where Rutter was kept was fired upon.

In March 1856, John Brown Jr. and John R. Harper were placed in Indiana County Jail on horse-stealing charges, but Harper promptly escaped.  Afterward, a coroners’ jury exhumed the body of Louisa Harper (his wife?) on suspicion of foul play.  The verdict was that she had died November 20, 1855, at the residence of John Brown Jr., Wheatfield Township, as the result of a drug.

Indiana County Ghost Stories Part II

Hexes and Tokens

Once there was a watering trough about half-way down the Trimble Hill on Route 286, near the same locality where the headless peddler used to make an appearance.

It is said a band of gypsies camped there and told fortunes of the travelers on the road. Some of the farmers in the community were displeased and drove the gypsies away at gun point.  Before leaving they hexed, or put a curse, on the spring that supplied the trough.  From that time on horses that drank from the trough became sick.  It’s so, for Uncle Isaac watered his horses there, and both became sick and one died.

Tokens were considered a warning that something unpleasant was soon to happen, usually a death.

For example, I will relate a story I have heard many times.  Back in 1876, a mother and here three-year-old daughter were alone in their home.  The mother was sewing in the early evening, the little girl played on the floor, and all was quiet.  Suddenly they heard the slight rattled caused by the old grandfather placing his cane beside their door.

The mother raised her head and looked toward the door expecting the visitor to enter, and the child got up from the floor gayly crying, “Grandpa, grandpa.”  The door did not open and mother and child went together and opened it.  A light snow lay on the ground, but no visitor waited at the threshold.  There were no tracks in the snow.  The next day the mother received word that here sister Sue had died at the same time she had heard the rattle of the cane that was not there.  That was a token.

The Shadowing Hand

The quietest, yet the uneasiest spirt in Indiana County is the one that hovers over a stone house near the Lions Health Camp in White Township.  The house was built before the Civil War.

The story begins long ago with two brothers who lived in the stone house.  They argued and bickered constantly.  During the summer months when they were busy and were often separated by their various duties they did not come to blows.  But long hours indoors after the long northern winter set in resulted in a horrible end to their quarreling.  One brother struck the other dead.

The brothers had not been very sociable with their neighbors, and so were not missed until early spring.  A neighbor seeking to barter for seed corn went up the hill to the stone house.  He noted how neglected the place appeared; there was not a wisp of smoke coming from the chimney although fire was still needed for comfort.  His loud knocking on the door went unanswered.  The neighbor went to the log barn and found the cow and her calf dead in their stall probably for want of food and water.  There was no sign of the horse.  The pigs were found later foraging for themselves in the woods.

Back to the house went the neighbor, this time intent upon traying to look through a window.  Crossing the dooryard he stopped aghast at what he saw.  It was a man’s hand protruding from the earth!

The man hurriedly made his way over the hill and down the hollow for more neighbors. They returned with him except for one who went for the constable.  When the earth was carefully removed the body of the murdered brother was found where he had been buried just under the surface of the frozen earth.  No one had seen the other one leave on horseback, and his fate remains a mystery to this day.  But the old stone house began its peculiar history.

It had a series of tenants, but none remained long.  They did not complain of seeing or hearing anything strange, but they were unhappy and never seemed to improve the location to any great extent.  The dooryard grew up in weeds, the shutters flapped in the wind, and the spring ran willy-nilly down over the side of the hill.  The old log barn fell into ruins until only the foundation stones remained.

The story was brough to life by Leslie Pattison, well-known local artist.  Knowing the report of the murder he tied the idea of the unhappy ghost into a landscape.  He painted the old house and over the structure was the shadow of a great hand.

For a time the Beverage Association of Indiana County had possession of the place, named it Dogwood Park, and turned it into a picnic spot.  At this time the story was being told and retold, and it took on the title of “The Shadowing Hand of Dogwood Park.”

The Ghost with the Lighted Lantern

The village of Strongstown, on Route 422, half-way between Indiana and Ebensburg, was once a stage coach stop on the old pike; later it was the center of a rip-roaring lumbering industry.  There was probably many reasons for a restless “spirit” to wander in the area, but this one carried a lighted lantern.

The last report of her appearance was early int eh spring of 1897.  A young man returning to Strongstown quite late on a Saturday evening met the “thing” near the spot where the south end of Susquehanna street becomes a township road.

As the young man came near the approaching figure he noted it was a woman, or something that looked like a woman, and was carrying a bundle in one arm and had a lighted lantern.  Thinking it was a neighbor, he prepared to speak, but the lantern was quickly shielded behind her long, very full skirt.  While he stood open-mouthed in surprise the figure quickly passed him going toward Dilltown. While he was actually watching in the direction in which it went the ghost vanished.

It seemed to have come from a house where a man had died not long before.

That Poor Simpson Boy

It all happened here in the county over eighty years ago. A Helman family lived exactly twelve miles from Indian, but in which direction is not known.  Near their home was a watering trough for the horses driven along the road that led to Indiana.  Taking a turn to the left near this spot was a lane that led to the home of a Simpson family.

The only son remained at home in the Simpson family was such a nice young fellow.  He often stopped by the Helman house and assisted with the heavy outdoor chores when Mr. Helman was absent from home.  Simpson would repeat glowing stories he had heard of opportunities to build up a fortune in “the West.” In some manner he accumulated $300, and arrangements were made to go to Kansas to homestead a tract of land.

Young Simpson planned to meet two other local residents at the watering trough at 4 o’clock on the morning of his departure.  He would ride on their wagon as far as Indiana where he would board the train for the West.  Later he would return for the old folks and taken them with him to Kansas.

The day of departure came, and as he approached the watering trough, he made it a point to pass by the Helman home for the family was much interested in his venture.  Mrs. Helman and her little daughter slept in a downstairs bedroom, and the traveler knocked on the bedroom window and called, “Goodbye, Aunt Lindy!” “Goodbye, boy, and God bless you,” replied Aunt Lindy.

A reasonable length of time went by, but a letter did not come from Kansas.  Thinking the young man was only busy getting settled on his land his parents were content. But weeks rolled along, and three months went by, and the parents and neighbors now feared something tragic had happened.  They hoped each day would bring some message.  The winter season arrived, and one night long after the Helmans had been asleep the mother and little daughter were awakened by someone knocking on the window.

“Yes, yes,” called the mother sleepily, “who is it?” Then she turned toward the window, and it appeared that the visitor had been carrying a lantern for they could see the color of his suit, the watch chain across the vest, and his necktie, but the window shade seemed to have been drawn down just far enough that the face was not visible.

“Do you know of a family named Simpson living around here?” queried the visitor at the window.

“Simpson? Why, yes, there’s a family just back of us by that name,” explained Mrs. Helman.

“Well, can you tell me how to get there?”

“Yes,” she said, “you go down the road out there for just a little way to the watering trough, turn left and follow the lane to the Simpsons.” All was quiet for a moment, and the person at the window did not move.  Then he said, “The watering trough, ah, yes, the watering trough, the watering trough, the watering trough.” The voice became stronger. “Thank you very much. Goodbye.”

“That’s alright. You’re welcome. Goodbye,” answered Lindy. The figure moved away from the window, and could be dimly seen as he went toward the gate. “Hmmm,” remarked Lindy as she sat up in bed, “the moon must have come up.” Just then the light vanished.  Naturally poor Lindy did not sleep much the rest of the night, and the whole episode was reviewed to her husband in the morning, telling him the visitor wore a brown suit and had a watch chain across his vest. It so happened this description fit the Simpson boy as he was last seen.

“Uh-huh,” said the husband with a look of amazement on his face, “that must have been Simpson.” His wife continued her story telling of the light suddenly disappearing, and that she had since made sure it was the dark of the moon. “There’s a lot of youngsters around here,” commented the husband as he noted the attentive children.

Later Mr. Helman announced, “I’m going hunting this morning.” As you have probably guessed – he hunted in a direct line across the field to Simpsons. The Simpson boy was not home, nor had his parents seen anyone during the night. Helman felt he should relate the story and did so.  Poor, old Mr. Simpson was bewildered, but the mother wept bitterly, sobbing, “He’s dead. That settles it, now I know he’s dead.”

It was learned through cautious inquiry in the right places, the men who were said to have taken Simpson from the watering trough to Indian seemed to have unusual amount of money to spend after his departure.  No charge was ever made, and Simpson never came back.

Indiana County Ghost Stories Part I

As we enter into the spooky Halloween seasons, we thought it would be fun to share some local ghost stories that were collected by Frances Strong Helman.  They are just that stories, but as with many stories passed down through the generation there is some truth to them. These stories are reprinted as they were originally published in 1963, should you have any local “ghost stories” we would love to hear about them in the comments.

The Ghosts of Watt’s Hill

Watt’s Hill is located west of Indiana on Route 422.  As early as 1889, travelers on that section of road reported seeing strange things.

One story was that a little hunched figure could be seen several yards back from the road, and one young woman felt sure that she had seen the apparition as she rode along the road with her father when she was a very small child.

From another family came the tale about the little hunchback.  It was recalled that a family lived just at the foot of the hill, and the crippled child was a part of the household.  It was not known if he was their very own or if he were a homeless waif they allowed to share their roof.  The little fellow received very cruel treatment at their hands, and finally one day after an unmerciful beating he crawled away into the woods.  Except for the little hunched figure sometimes seen at a distance – over a period of many years – nothing more was ever known about the unfortunate little boy.

The second ghost attached to the hill always made its appearance nearer the top of the hill.  A man was hanged from a tree near that spot – some say he was a peddler.

Before 1890, a group from Indiana saw this ghostly figure.  They had driven by horse and buggy to Shelocta for supper.  It was a fine fall evening and they were in no hurry to return home, and it was after dark when they started back to the county seat, but after they were half way up Watt’s Hill the fun ended for most of the group.

They all claimed to have seen the famous ghost of the hanged man.  The young people had passed by when someone noticed “the thing.” At first a few of the couples were brave, got out of the buggies, and started walking back down the hill to investigate, or hold a consultation with the ghost.  The ghost seemed to move forward to meet them.  That was all that was needed to complete the investigation! They turned and ran back up the hill.  One of the young ladies fainted and had to be carried to her buggy near the top of the hill where she was revived.  Except for being scared they arrived home safely.

The entire group declared the ghost was eight to ten feet tall, it floated along six feet from the ground, and it was all white.  The wind seemed to blow it backwards and forwards just as the remains of the hanged man must have swayed in the breeze.

Years have passed, the route of the highway has changed, and the settlers responsible for what happened on Watt’s Hill have gone to their reward.  The ghosts of the woe-begone creatures must be satisfied for they are seen no more.

The Fiddling Ghost of Mahoning Valley

Indiana County’s musical ghost inhabits a little house at Smicksburg, in West Mahoning Township, and has been named the “fiddling ghost of Mahoning Valley.”

The story begins in the days when the Baltimore and Ohio railroad was being built through the township, soon after the turn of the century.  Two cronies came to work on the railroad and took up their abode in the little house with its high steep roof.

One of these fellows played a fiddle.  He played everywhere he was asked to play; at any neighborhood gathering he had toes tapping with his rollicking tunes.  He also played at the temporary diggings in the little house; and he played without invitation from his friend – early in the morning and late at night.  Finally, there came a day when the friend could stand no more.  When the fiddler and his companion did not show up for work some one went to the house.  The musician was found stabbed to death, his violin broken, and the companion gone, bag and baggage.

When fall arrived, strange stories were whispered about.  Yes, there was “something funny” about the little house.  A few folks swore they saw and heard the dead fiddler, and of all places – he was sitting astride the house roof.

As years rolled along it was found that on frosty nights a vapor seems to envelope the top of the house, and as an unfelt breeze clears it away the old fiddler is seen on the roof and the weird tunes are faintly heard.

As late as 1955, the old boy was heard if not seen.  It was just about Hallowen when George Swetnam aired the almost forgotten yarn in the Sunday Pittsburgh Press.  A group of students from the Dayton high school decided to visit the old house just for kicks.  The weather was exactly right, and as they came to a halt near the building, the eerie strains of a violin was heard.  Not one of them bothered to look up at the roof as they tore out of the area.  One boy fell while leaping across a ditch for a near-cut and almost broke his leg.

Without question the fiddling ghost of Mahoning Valley is the noisiest in the county.

Headless Apparitions

Two headless apparitions have been reported in the county.  The first was seen in the Starford neighborhood, out in Green Township.  This one was a traveler who walked along the road carrying his head under his arm while in the opposite hand he clutched a rolling pin.

The first man who saw him ran as fast as his legs would carry him until he reached the village store.  There he babbled incoherently about the “awful sight” until someone brought the minister who managed to quiet him, and the unbelievable story was told.

The story seemed true for soon others declared they met the headless ghost walking along the same stretch of road, still carrying his head under his arm and swinging the rolling pin.

This restless spirit must have wrought vengeance upon the proper person or persons for he is seen no more.

The second headless man made his appearance at the foot of the Trimble Hill on Route 286, between Indiana and Clymer.  It is said that this was the ghost of a murdered peddler.  He did not get busy until exactly midnight in the dark of the moon.  Then he stepped from the side of the road and grabbled the bridles of passing horses.  A sharp cut of the whip was all that was needed to throw the ghost of balance.  The writer never fails to think of the headless peddler on dark nights, but either the time has been wrong or he dislikes automobiles.

Sketches of Indiana County Revolutionary Soldiers – Part II

John Leasure

John Leasure, son of John, was born in 1762, Sewickly settlement, Westmoreland County.  His father was an early settler in that area.

John Leasure, Jr., served as a private in the Westmoreland County Rangers, in Capt. John McClelland’s Company, and was one of the scouts sent to guard the homes of settlers along Crooked Creek in what is now western Indiana and eastern Armstrong counties.

This soldier married Jane Culbertson in the late 1790s, and lived for a time on the farm which later became the property of Benjamin Walker, Armstrong Township, Indiana County.  In 1809, they moved to the farm later occupied by their son-in-law, Samuel T. Brady, in East Mahoning Township.  The warrent, issued to Leasure and patented January 17, 1802, called for a tract of 398 acres.  John Leasure was a mighty hunter and it is said he paid for his land with the proceeds from wolf scalps.

Caldwell’s History of Indiana County gives the births and the marriage date of the couple, but the births do not check with their tombstone in Gilgal Presbyterian cemetery.  Descendants know that children were born before the marriage date in the county history, so it is assumed the printed record is incorrect and we use the dates from the tombstone.

John Leasure died December 20, 1844, in East Mahoning Township, and his wife, Jane, departed this life in 1829.

Cornelius Hutchison

Cornelius Hutchison, according to his application for pension, on August 20, 1819, was sixty-two years old.  He enlisted in the month of May 1778, at Shippensburg, Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, in a company commanded by Captain Samuel Talbert, Colonel Walter Stewart’s Regiment, Pennsylvania Line; and was discharged January 15, 1781, at Trenton, NJ.  The soldier stated he participated in the battles of Monmouth, Springfield, and the blockhouse battle where General Anthony Wayne commanded.  He was also in Captain Matthew Scott’s company.

From records provided by descendants, Cornelius Hutchison was born in England in 1757; in 1786 he married Eleanor McGuire (also called Nellie), 1766-1841.  They are believed to have come to what is now Indiana County about 1796.  Cornelius Hutchison died March 10, 1832, and is buried in Hice’s graveyard, near New Florence, in Indiana County, but the location of the grave is unknown.

John Montgomery

John Montgomery for whom Montgomery Township, Indiana County, was named once owned a large tract of land within the township limits.  This Revolutionary veteran was born in 1759, in County Antrim, Ireland, and came to America in 1774.

His application for pension states he enlisted for one year in Captain Abraham Smith’s Company, Col. Irwin’s Regiment, Pennsylvania Line, in 1776; and in Captain Hout’s Company, Col. Holby’s Regiment, 1777.  He was discharged at Newburgh, NY, 1783, having participated in the battles of Three Rivers, Germantown, Brandywine, and Monmouth, and was present at the taking of Cornwallis.

Among the notes concerning John Montgomery’s service was the statement that at the end of the war he was one of General George Washington’s life guards.  On November 11, 1829, John Willson was sworn before Stewart Davis, a Blacklick Township justice of peace, that Montgomery was in Captain Smith’s Company.  Michael Mullen, also of Blacklick Township, gave an affidavit that Montgomery was a veteran of the Revolutionary War.

John Montgomery died November 11, 1840, aged 81 years.  His grave in Ebenezer Presbyterian cemetery, at Lewisville, Conemaugh Township, is easily located by the large square monument.

Captain Gawin Adams

Gawin Adams and wife, Nancy Irvin Adams, natives of Ireland, first came to this locality before the Revolution, and their abode was within the present limits of Indiana borough.  However, they were forced to go back to their old home in what is now Franklin County because of Indians.

During the period they were “down east” Adams served as captain in the 2nd Company, First Battalion, Bucks County Militia, in 1780; in the fall of 1781 he was listed as captain under the command of Colonel John Keller.

After their return to what is now Indiana County, all went well until 1792, when Indians again became troublesome.  One night, while Nancy was ill and confined to her bed, the redskins arrived at the Adams cabin.  Andrew and Sally Allison with their little daughter had been warned, and were already in the Adams home.  The unwelcome visitors kept the small party in terror during the night, one whistling on his rifle charger on one side of the cabin, and another answering him in a like manner on the other side.  Young Adams and Allison held their rifles all night ready to repel the attack.  Dreading a warm reception from these hardy frontiersmen, the Indians withdrew before daybreak. In the morning the men yoked the oxen, placed Nancy Adams and her new-born daughter on a sled and hurried to Moorhead’s fort, a distance of about five miles.

Gawin Adams erected the first grist and saw mill at “Porter field” – the settlement located near Twolick Creek, where the cement bridge is under water, and the old highway started its ascent of the “Devil’s Elbow” hill.  Tradition credits the Adams family with having brought the first negroes to Indiana County.

The last home of Gawin and Nancy Adams was located near the 422 Drive-In Theatre, on the left side of the road, going east on East Pike.  He died between April 19, when his will was written, and December 12, 1818, when the will was proved, and was buried in the old Presbyterian graveyard in Indiana.  Nancy’s will was dated February 5, 1836, when she gave her age as 86 years thus establishing the year 1750 as her birth date.  The will was proved September 2, 1839.

William Neal (Niel)

William Niel was born in 1736, in Ireland, and came to America about 1760.  He first settled at Philadelphia, but soon went to Franklin County, Pennsylvania, and finally to what is now Indiana County before 1800.  He bought his first land from the estate of Daniel Cahill, and the transaction is recorded in Deed Book C, page 317, Westmoreland County.  At that time the location was given as Armstrong Township, Westmoreland County.  The date recorded was June 7, 1788.  The site of this first home on our frontier was within the present limits of Young Township.

On March 13, 1799, William Niel, of Westmoreland County, sold his tracts of land in Antrim Township, Franklin County, to George Clark of the same county.

He served as a private under Captain William Findley, First Battalion, Cumberland County Militia, in 1778, and in 1780-81, was under command of Captain William Berryhill, 8th Battalion, Cumberland County Associators and Militia.

William Niel was a surveyor and well known in this section.  His wife was Mary Reynolds of whom we have no further record.  He died in Young Township, September 8, 1813, and is buried in Bethel Presbyterian Church cemetery, in Center Township. 

John Shields

John Shields was born in Chester County, Pennsylvania, August 18, 1759, but by the time of the Revolutionary War the family had migrated westward to Toboyne Township, Cumberland County (now Perry County).  He enlisted in the Cumberland County Militia at the age of 17 years, and was a corporal in the company of Captain James McClure which served in Colonel Montgomery’s Regiment of Flying Camp.  Stewart’s History of Indiana County states he served a tour as a substitute for his father, and on another occasion for a neighbor.

On August 30, 1782, John Shields and Margaret Elizabeth Marshall were married.  Their son William was born in July 1784, and the following year the little family left their home on the banks of Yellow Breeches Creek, in Cumberland County, and started for a new home west of the Alleghenies.

Their few possessions were loaded on pack horses for the journey.  Little William was placed in a creel on a horse, and on the other end the young couple placed their favorite cat and eight pounds of flax to balance him.  Once when the baby became restless, and John carried him in his arms some distance ahead of the party, the group heard him call to “hurry up, come quick!”  A half-starved panther was crouching beside the path.  Margaret relieved the father of their child, and he and another man stoned the panther to death.  They first stopped at a place near Campbell’s mill, on the bank of Blacklick creek.  There other children were born, and the mother died in 1816.  Two years later the marriage of John Shields and Elizabeth Carson took place.

Their home site was later known as Shields’ Fort.  The veteran was seven feet in height, and it is said that settlers living between block houses depended upon him to warn them of Indian movements, and that a number of them would always hurry to Shields’ cabin for protection.  Later he served in the State Militia in quelling Indian outbreaks.

His declining years were spent in the northern part of Indiana County where he died October 16, 1840.  His grave is marked in the cemetery at Washington United Presbyterian Church, in Rayne Township.

He was applying for a pension in 1833, and stated his birth date had been recorded in his father’s Bible.  His father gave the Bible to the deponent’s brother who died in the state of Ohio where he supposed the Bible remained.  The given names of father and brother were not mentioned.  His widow in her application for pension stated they were married in Center Township, October 8, 1818.  She was allowed a pension June 14, 1853, aged 73 years, and a resident of Madison Township, Armstrong County.

Hugh McIntire

Hugh McIntire was born 1754, served in the Cumberland County Associators and Militia, 8th Baattalion, 6th class, and is listed on the rolls in January 1778; and at another time was enrolled with the company of Captain William Berryhill, 3rd Company, 1st Battalion.  In 1780, he was in Lt. Daniel Smith’s Company.  Later Hugh McIntire appeared on the tax lists of Franklin County, Pennsylvania.  Franklin was once part of Cumberland County.

In 1795, the veteran bought the Indiana County homestead from Neal Murry, and the deed is recorded in Westmoreland County, Deed Book 3, page 491.  The family was forced to take refuge from Indians in a nearby blockhouse.  The original McIntire tract is now within the bounds of Blacklick township.  The soldier died in 1836, and is buried in Bethel United Presbyterian Cemetery, in Center Township.

William Work

William Work, born February 14, 1760, in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, a son of Samuel Work, served in the Cumberland County Militia, during the Revolution.  His name appears on militia roles in 1777-78-80-81-82.

In 1799, with his brother John, also a Revolutionary veteran, William Work migrated to Westmoreland County, and spent some time at the fort at the foot of Squirrel Hill, near the present location of the town of New Florence.  In 1804, the Work brothers and their families settled in Mahoning Township, in the part now known as East Mahoning.

For several years William Work taught school in the community, and is believed to have been the first school teacher in Mahoning township.  Before coming to Indiana County he was a singing master in Cumberland County.  He was influential in the organization of the Gilgal Presbyterian Church, and was enrolled with its first members.  Cancer ended his serve to the county and community on April 1, 1828, and he is buried in the Gilgal cemetery.