On 220 North Sixth Street you will find the former home of Governor John S. Fisher, the only Pennsylvania governor from Indiana County. The home was built around 1902 for Mr. and Mrs. Edward Rowe.
The home is built in the Queen Anne style, and constructed of wood and shingles. An interesting feature of the home is the large chimney on the left side of the house which was used for all of the fireplaces in the house. Along with only one large chimney is the tower o the house with a rounder roof, which resembles a dome. At one time, the third floor of the tower was used as a sleeping porch and at the time contained no windows, only screens, which was designed to give the house more fresh air.
|Fisher Mansion. 220 North 6th Street Indiana, PA|
Governor Fisher was born May 25, 167 in South Mahoning Township. He received his diploma in 1886 from the Indiana State Normal School and taught for 7 years in the public schools. Fisher studied law and was admitted to the Indiana County Bar in 1893. In 1900, he was elected to the State Senate, followed in 1916 as a delegate to the Republican National Convention and became a Commissioner of Banking of Pennsylvania in 1919. The pivotal point of his career came in 1926 when he was elected Governor of Pennsylvania, serving in that capacity until 1931.
|Governor John S. Fisher|
While Governor Fisher was in office a coal strike broke out, and the governor called for the state police to “preserve order” but in fact they assisted the coal and iron police. Fisher tried to have a conference for all parties of the dispute, on March 12, 192, but no one responded. Fisher had a former close association with the Clearfield Bituminous Coal Corp, and was accused of favoring coal companies. The strike ended in July 192 and Fisher suffered a severe setback in public opinion in which he tried to retrieve in 1929 by signing the Mansfield Bill. This bill corrected some of the more gross abuses of the coal and iron police. Governor Fisher died on June 25, 1940.